With the new edition of Age of Sigmar coming out in the past few months, I wanted to start a new army, specifically one that was not at its core just a rebasing of one of my old Warhammer armies. So I went about GW’s catalog to look for an army that inspired me. At about the same time I started planning the follow up campaign to my recently finished Icewind Dale Dungeon and Dragons campaign which had been going on for the last year. We decided to try out the newest Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay edition, and I set about to refreshing my memory of the old world by listening to Warhammer audiobooks while painting. The Gotrek and Felix audiobooks have turned out to be excellent, with great voice acting and plenty of background colour I could use in the campaign. More relevant to this post though, is the abundance of Skaven antagonists in these novels. The descriptions of the Skaven and their machinations, mistrust of each other, and readiness to blame others for their failures makes for very fun storytelling, and of course, made me want to paint some.
I’ve actually had these models painted for a few weeks now, but was waiting on the basing materials to arrive in the post to finish them. These 20 models were my guinea pigs (lab rats?), and were used to find a scheme that would satisfy two criteria: 1) look good on the tabletop, 2) be quick! My current plans for the army involve 100 troop rats (80 Clanrats and 20 Stormvermin) and I don’t want to spend the next year painting them.
In the same vein, I wanted the basing to be quick so I decided to try out the base ready range from geekgamingscenics.com, specifically their Grimdark City Rubble. My aim for the bases was to represent Skaven tunnels, which I picture as dark earth and broken supports, which I made out of balsa wood, stained with brown and green inks.
As with my previous armies I made a record of the paints used so I can refer to it as I continue painting the army (a useful precaution against becoming distracted by another project and forgetting how the early models were painted!).
Overall I like the look of these and am happy with how long 20 took to paint. I have a 1000 point list in place and am playing around with how to expand it to 2000 points in the future. Painting on this army continues and I should have another post on it soon.